Thursday, September 25, 2008

Race 17. Grand prix race 3. Les Setton

I can describe this race with as little as two words. Not fun. I nearly drowned in the swim, was next to last at the first buoy and only got it together a little near the end to pass people. I was looking for the boat to get me out of there, when my normal routine of breathing during my swimming part of the race was violently changed to drinking. The course for the bike leg was on pretty good roads but for some reason the French tri federation decided to make it 3 out and back loops on the same road, turning it into a skinny, windy obstacle course. All around lake Setton were perfectly good roads later to be used for the open races, but it must be far more important to keep bunches of 80+ riders in one lane and threaten to disqualify them if they are accidentally knocked on the white dividing line. Add to that conundrum a transition area entrance the width of a paddle pop stick and I think you can see where its all going. The organizers must be thanked by all who made it into the second transition area without crashing, as we were all rewarded with a little rest. I think it is one of the first races where I actually stopped moving altogether, as I could do nothing but wait for my turn to slowly walk through the undersize shute, all the time bumping my bike into the guy in front of me, as he was doing the same to the guys in front of him.....and so on. I got to my place only to find someone else’s bike there, and Antione Le soz was looking everywhere for his shoes that he later mysteriously found in another teams area. I just had to laugh, and say something stupid to Antione as I felt the race was as goo as over. I racked my bike on the other bike, and slipped on my shoes with little rush. The change from bike to run had thankfully spread us out a little and I was able to RUN out of transition, all be it in 55th position. I ran as fast as I could for all of the race and seemed to pass people all the way around the two laps without being passed myself. That is until the final 10 meters when in yet another sprint finish, I came out second best, or it should be said, I came out 9th best as we were hardly sprinting for the win!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home