Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Race 8 Triathlon De Saint Nazaire 8th July 2007 (750m/ 20km/ 5km)

Not knowing where the race site was, not booking any accommodation and renting a Renault Kangoo (one of the ugliest cars on the road) were some of the factors that determined our sleeping arrangements before this race. After arriving in Saint Nazaire in the dark and reading race signs and bus route maps in the rain, Ella and I finally found the race sight. Soon after moving some barriers and sneaking our Kangoo into the race area we were caught by Said Moulai (the race organizer, and Father of Tony Moulai, who’s photo was on all the race signs as he had won the last few years). Said was happy to see us as I guess he was expecting thieves or vandals at that time of night. He told me some stuff about the race and that we could not stay where we were so off we went again. A little longer searching brought us to a car park close to race sight and we set about converting the car into the Hilton. For some crazy reason the design of the Kangoo allows a person to almost stand up while inside but not lay down! This excessive headroom is of little benefit or comfort while sleeping, but enough of that on to the race. The day of the race was warm and rain free. The two lap “australie”swim (called that because of the run out of the water between laps) was timed to start when the tide was slack, as the current is so strong people may start and never return. Even at slack tide the current was incredible, as anyone who took a direct line to the first buoy could have found themselves well off course and with an enormous task to swim into the current just to round a buoy. Just for fun there was a false start. I was happy about that as I copped a punch in the eye and my goggles were all over my face. Start 2 was better for me, I got some clear water and headed way left of the direct line to the buoy. It paid off as the current brought me nicely to the buoy like a perfectly weighted putt in golf (yes you can picture it cant you). Now what would have been good was if I had have applied the same principal to the second buoy. I didn’t, and like a brainless piece of seaweed I was soon whisked well off the mark and out to sea. Well it felt like that. It was a battle to get to the second buoy and I was glad to finally get to it. After lap one I was second 15 seconds behind Adam and after lap two I exited the water still in second 30 seconds behind Adam, with 3rd and 4th over 40seconds behind me. The current had really scattered the field in the swim. It was a two lap bike course and it took me the majority of the first lap to catch Adam. I pushed hard on the second lap and came into transition with about a 1:50 lead on Adam and over 3 minutes to the guys in 3rd and 4th. The first 1km of the race takes you over the beach and through some deep sand then up a whole lot of stairs. Not the best way to get the legs going. After that demanding section I was joined by a lead bike who traveled with me the rest of the way. Where was he on the beach huh?? I crossed the finish line with my arm raised in the air, not because I’m cool but because I had seen all the pictures of Tony Moulai doing just that so figured I better keep with tradition. After that it was time to go back to the Kangoo/Hilton for a shower and lay down. That’s a joke of course. . . . . I wouldn’t have a shower.
Result from race 8 – 1st
Lesson learned – False starts help fix goggles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home